Ask the Right Questions When Buying a Used Car
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Avoiding Used Car Fraud and other Used Car topics.
What Are Some Ways to Avoid Used Fraud?
The best weapon for avoiding used car fraud? Arm yourself with information. When you know what questions to ask you increase your chances of buying a used car without a hitch.
No Question is Silly
Reputable used car dealers want you to feel comfortable with the sales experience and your used car. Look for dealers that:
- Invite your questions
- Appear knowledgeable in their response
- Make sales transactions transparent
Know What Questions Help You Avoid Car Buying Scams
There are countless valuable questions that you can ask. Here are a few samples:
- Where was the vehicle purchased from?
- Has the vehicle sustained any damage?
- Have you inspected the vehicle? What did you find?
- Has the vehicle been serviced? What did you do?
- Is all of the paperwork required for registration available on site? If you cannot leave with the appropriate documents of sale, don't leave with the car.
- Has the car ever been used as a rental car?
Know Something About the Used Car Dealer.
- Avoid used car dealers that look like fly-by-night operations. Be sure the car you are purchasing is genuinely available from the seller for legitimate sale.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau or your local Chamber of Commerce to be sure the dealer is legitimate.