Used Car Values
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Used Car Pricing and other Used Car topics.
How to Negotiate for The Best Used Car Values
Used car values remain comparatively high for high end vehicles such as Mercedes-Benz or Lexus. Other cars don't fare as well in the depreciation game. Take advantage of the savings available with used cars with the following tips.
Negotiate From the Bottom Up
- Many new and used car buyers take one look at the sticker price and negotiate from there. Consumer Reports advocates a different strategy for determining used car values. Find out what the cost of the car was to the dealer and negotiate up from there to get the best used car prices.
Ask about the Car's History
- Many buyers understand that a vehicle history report can impact used car values, but research shouldn't stop there. You should find out:
- How many miles are on the car?
- Who did most of the driving? For what purpose?
- Was the driver a smoker?
- Are service records available for review?
- Has the body and upholstery been cared for, or is it damaged?
- Has the car been involved in an accident?
Ask these questions before you arrive to save yourself a trip if the car isn't worth viewing.