The Legal Side of Your Used Car Sale
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Selling a Used Car and other Used Car topics.
What Are My Responsibilities When Selling a Car
Learn the Laws of Your State
This step is important for buyers as well as sellers as each has related responsibilities.
Review Your Title Before You Advertise
- Each state has different laws concerning your responsibilities when selling a car. Some of these may include smog certification and odometer statements.
- To learn about your responsibilities regarding title transfer deadlines, etc., visit your local Department of Motor Vehicle Office. Buyers that do not transfer the title within the specified time frame may be subject to fines and/or citations.
Have Copies of All Documents On Hand
- Make sure that you have the title in hand before you attempt to sell your used car.
- You should also be sure that the title is clear. For example, have you forgotten any title loans or are there any other complications that would stand in the way of a sale?
- Anything you intend to provide to the driver should be available at the time of sale.
- This includes service records (you may want to make copies for yourself in case future problems arise with the sale)
- The original title.
- Bill of sale
- The Owner's Manual
- Contracts or warranties, if provided. If not, a statement that the car is sold as is.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.